Energy Management & Power Quality MonitoringBlogPower Monitoring Systems6 Features to Look for in an Energy Management System
January 18, 2017
6 Features to Look for in an Energy Management System
Not all energy management systems (EMSs) are created equal. While some will help you meet and exceed your goals, others will only lead to failure and frustration.
An energy management campaign is only as good as the tools it utilizes, which is why you should seek out an EMS with these six features:
- Real-time monitoring. Unlike interval data, real-time energy monitoring provides you with key energy data in the moment – not on a 24-hour time delay. This makes it easier to pinpoint weaknesses and areas for improvement.
- Historical data. Historical data also plays an important role in energy management systems. It allows you to compare your current energy consumption to previous years, visualize energy trends, and diagnose past problems.
- Power quality analysis. Power outages cost companies billions of dollars every year in lost revenue, damaged equipment, and idle employees. An EMS which integrates power quality analysis can sniff out these power disruptions before they occur.
- Meter-software integration. There are two parts to any EMS: hardware (meters and instruments) and software (computer applications). Ideally, you want these two components to interact as seamlessly as possible with minimal user involvement.
- Customized reporting. When it comes to energy reporting, there is no “one size fits all”. Certain pieces of information may be valuable to one employee, but useless to another. Customized reporting will allow you to quickly put key information in the hands of those who need it.
- Automated billing. If you are a utility supplier, billing can be a troublesome task. In fact, many companies outsource their billing operations; a move which can cost tens of thousands of dollars per year. Some energy management software, such as EnergyReporter EXT, comes fully-equipped with automated billing capabilities to make your life easier (and cheaper).
The energy management systems available from Electro Industries come with all six of these features, and a whole lot more. Visit our website to learn about our power monitoring meters and software, or call (866) 928-7908.