What You Need to Know About Submetering – the Basics
In today’s world, more and more companies are looking to go green. Whether it is to save money, save the environment, or both, reducing energy consumption is a top priority for businesses across the globe – big and small
One of the best ways to cut energy usage is through the use of power monitoring tools known as submeters. If you are new to the world of energy management, you may have heard the term “submetering” before, but might not fully understand what it means. Not a problem. The power monitoring experts from Electro Industries are here to explain what submetering is, and the many benefits that it can provide.
What is submetering?
Submetering refers to the installation and utilization of electronic devices to monitor energy consumption after your primary utility meter. These meters can provide you with real-time data for specific points within your facility.
Submeters are an effective way for property owners to fairly bill their tenants, but they are quickly growing in industrial popularity as well, for the reasons listed below…
What are the benefits of submetering?
Submetering can offer many benefits to business owners, such as:
- Pinpoint energy consumption. You may know how much total energy your facility is using, but do you know exactly where it is being used? Submeters can pinpoint energy consumption to specific departments, operations, or pieces of machinery.
- Identify inefficiencies. The real-time, precise data provided by submeters makes it easy to identify areas of weakness within your facility. Using this information, you can develop and implement power-saving programs to improve upon your inefficiencies.
- Prevent equipment breakdowns. When one piece of equipment is consuming significantly more energy than its counterparts, it could be a red flag that something is wrong. Submetering can allow you to detect these kind of problems before they fully develop, giving you the opportunity to fix them before costly breakdowns occur.
- Detect errors on utility bill. You pay your utility bill every month, but how do you know that you are being billed fairly? Mistakes can happen, and without power monitoring equipment such as submeters, you could be paying more than you should be.
- Provides benchmark numbers. Looking at your energy data in a vacuum doesn’t offer much insight. However, comparing it to benchmark data (whether from your own company or industry competitors) can provide greater context as to where you stand in terms of energy-efficiency.
How can I get started?
Getting started with submetering is as easy as picking up the phone and calling Electro Industries. As a worldwide supplier and manufacturer of power monitoring equipment, we have been helping businesses across the globe save money and energy for over 40 years. Call us today at (866) 928-7908 to learn how submetering can benefit your company.