Power Quality Meters Commercialization Old
Introduction of PMU (Phasor Measurement Unit)
The Nexus® Constant Calibration Architecture Increases the TM 1500+ meter gives you a comprehensive picture of your power usage and system reliability. It is a testable revenue meter with advanced power quality analysis and synchrophasor application support. The Nexus® 1500+ meter records every aspect of your system’s electrical power and power quality, including transients. You can access the information it provides both in real time and through comprehensive reports. The meter’s reporting complies with IEC 61000-4-30 Class A Edition 3 and EN 50160 international standards.
With the Nexus® 1500+ meter, you can be assured that all essential data is captured and stored. The meter is designed for critical and important circuit monitoring. It is a precision instrument that captures all aspects of the electrical circuit. And its Resilient Cyber Security™ protects your critical metering data. The Nexus® 1500+ meter is therefore ideal for grid monitoring, substation automation, and distribution substation reliability measurements.
Highly Accurate Energy Metrology
Since accuracy of your meter readings is of utmost importance, the Nexus® 1500+ meter has advanced metrology that auto-calibrates its internal circuitry every ten seconds. This calibration method improves meter accuracy over both time and temperature and is ideal for critical metering. The 1500+ meter gives you measurements that exceed the ANSI C12.20 0.1S and IEC 62053-22 0.2 CL standards. It provides an energy class accuracy of 0.06%, with typical shipping accuracy of 0.02%. Using its front test pulses, you can quickly determine accuracy by testing on one pulse at a low pulse rate. In addition, the meter’s real time clock is accurate to 3.5 ppm, with less than ten seconds per month drift.
Typical Accuracy over Current Range
Typical 0.02% Accuracy Over Full Range
Constant Calibration Architecture Increases the Stability of Measurement Accuracy
The Nexus® 1500+ meter’s auto-calibration technology is Constant Cali-bration™ architecture. It calibrates the incoming signal every ten seconds using a separate calibration channel. This rapid auto-calibration ensures that the meter experiences minimal drift in accuracy over both time and temperature. With Constant Calibration™ architecture, the Nexus® 1500+ meter’s readings stabilize within ten seconds, right out of the box. No more waiting for the meter to stabilize in temperature for optimal accuracy. Once you install the meter it will maintain its precise accuracy throughout its operation range, even if operating conditions are not ideal.
High Speed Frequency Reading for Generator Control
The Nexus® 1500+ meter provides a high-speed frequency reading of one cycle, with a frequency resolution of better than 10 mHz. This is an important feature if your power system application must respond as quickly as possible to frequency fluctuations, such as those caused by intermittent power generation in renewable power plants. The meter also provides a programmable rolling window average for this reading.
Drift over Temperature
Meter Maintains Accuracy Over Changing Temperature
Note that typical accuracy is 0.02%; however, the meter specification should be consulted for accuracy details.
Advanced Revenue Meter for Primary Loads
The Nexus® 1500+ meter is ideal for any important revenue metering applications. In addition to highly accurate energy measurement, the meter features:
• Full 4 quadrant metering
• Energy load profiling: log virtually unlimited historical trending
• Time of Use perpetual calendar that supports multiple tariffs
• Transformer and Line Loss compensation for both iron and copper and total substation losses
• CT and PT compensation corrects for errors in current and voltage transformers
• Identify number of capacitors needed, peak inefficiencies, etc. with coincidental readings, e.g., PF or VARs at time of Peak Demand
• Load aggregation/universal metering: aggregate or accumulate different loads with pulse inputs; utility products such as gas and water can also be accumulated
• MV90 support
System Events Logging
The System Events log gives you extensive usage information for detection of unauthorized access. The meter records:
• Programming changes
• Password access changes
• Time changes
• Power up/down
• Change of Firmware
Test Mode and Energy Presets
Test watt-hour and VAR-hour accuracy without affecting stored readings using the Nexus® 1500+ meter’s Test Mode. With Test Mode you can verify the meter’s readings anytime, without disturbing load profiling or demand recording and without resetting energy.
Pre-program the energy accumulator values after exiting Test Mode using the meter’s Energy Preset feature. This lets you compensate for accumulations missed during testing. Energy Preset also lets you easily swap a new meter for a meter being replaced by setting the values you want.
Perpetual Time of Use for Complex Metering
Set up multiple tariffs that meet any contractual obligation with the Nexus® 1500+ meter’s perpetual Time of Use (TOU) calendar. You program the calendar only one time, unless your requirements change. Use your TOU calendar for any energy parameter, stored data from pulses, or RTU Master readings.
Class A Power Quality Recorder
With EIG’s Nexus® 1500+ meter you have one of the industry’s premier fault and voltage disturbance recorders. You can perform detailed and extensive forensic engineering analysis with the comprehensive picture of voltage reliability and power quality event history that it pro-vides. Identify power quality problems, including harmonics, sags, swells, and transients with the Nexus® 1500+ meters advanced power quality functionality.
IEC 61000-4-30 Class A Ed. 3 Power Quality Meter
The Nexus® 1500+ meter is a comprehensive Class A power quality recorder. It meets the rigorous IEC 61000-4-30 Class A Edition 3 standard and measures and analyzes power quality precisely. All reporting is
available via the EN 50160 reporting format, which provides a weekly report of power quality indices system wide. Additionally, meet your specific required application or jurisdictional needs by customizing the report.
• IEC 61000-4-30 Reporting: Class A Reporting – supports the most stringent international power quality standards; the Nexus® 1500+ meter offers full reporting of power quality conditions using the IEC 61000-4-30 Class A methodology.
• Support different jurisdictional requirements with automatic generation of EN 50160 reports and EN 50160 report customization.
Easy-to-Understand Reports Display PQ Compliance
IEC 61000-4-15 Class A Flicker Meter
• Flicker compliant with the IEC 61000-4-15 Class A standard.
• Flicker measurement operates on both 220 volt/50 Hz and 120 volt/60 Hz throughout standard test points.
IEC 61000-4-7 Class A Harmonics and Interharmonics Analysis
• View harmonic magnitudes to the 511th order for each voltage and current channel.
• Harmonic magnitudes and phase angles in real time are resolved to the 127th order.
• Obtain THD, TDD, and K-Factor.
• Conduct power quality analysis at the high end of the harmonic magnitude spectrum.
Analyze efficiency and system integrity using the phase angle analysis between the voltage and current channels.
High-speed Voltage Reliability Measurements
The Nexus® 1500+ meter provides industry leading voltage measurement.
• Real time single cycle RMS measurements
• Customizable high-speed readings – can be set from 2 to 20 cycles RMS
Set Limit Control
You can use the Nexus® 1500+ meter as a control device by programming setpoints. Supported control applications include:
• Capacitor control
• Load shedding
• Automatic transfer schemes
• Transformer monitoring and control
• Redundant protection (not designed for primary over-current
• Many other control functions
Set up extensive email alarms by programming limits using the Nexus® 1500+ meter. You can set limits for any measured value, set up limits using a Boolean logic tree, or set limits using IEC 61850.
16 Bit Waveform and Fault Recorder
• Record up to 1024 samples per cycle at 16-bit resolution and capture a transient at over 800,000 samples per cycle or at 50 MHz sampling speed.
• Voltage and current recording has pre- and post-event analysis.
• Fault recording offers eight times full scale capture capability.
• Both hardware and software triggers are available.
Record and Analyze Waveform Fault and Transient Data
High-speed Status Input Triggers
• Waveforms are recorded at time of status change.
• Input change and waveform recording are time-stamped to a 100 microsecond resolution.
• Time breakers and relays with inputs and waveforms that can be displayed together.
Subcycle 50 MHz Transient Recorder (V3 Option)
Transients often cause intermittent, expensive periods of downtime. The Nexus® 1500+ meter’s subcycle transient recorder will:
• Record subcycle transients at 50 MHz resolution.
• Monitor switching noise from capacitors, static transfer switches, SCRs, and other devices that negatively impact power quality.
This feature is essential for critical applications such as hospitals, wafer-fabs plants, data centers, and other highly power quality sensitive applications.
Independent ITIC/CBEMA Log Plotting
• Quickly view total surges, sags, and average duration in the independent ITIC/CBEMA log.
• SEMI F47 graphing is available for power quality compliance in the semi-conductor industry.
Compatible Waveform Formats
You can use CommunicatorPQA® software to receive the meter’s waveform data via COMTRADE and PQDIF compatible formats. This allows the waveform PQ and fault records to be read by most third-party waveform analysis software programs.
• COMTRADE (common format for transient data exchange) is defined by IEEE Std C37.111.
• PQDIF (power quality data interchange format) is defined by IEEE Std 1159.3-2003.
The Nexus® 1500+ meter meets almost every need with its 6 simultaneous communication ports and multiple protocols.
• 2 optional RS485 ports speaking Modbus and/or DNP3
• USB front panel port
• ANSI optical front panel port
• 2 separately addressable Ethernet ports
• Optional Fiber or RJ45 media on one Ethernet port
Ethernet Communication Port Capabilities
• 2 Ethernet ports provide multiple simultaneous communication sessions
• Each port has separate MAC and IP addresses
• Supports Modbus TCP/IP, DNP3, and IEC 61850
• GOOSE messaging protocol supported for IEC 61850
• Up to 32 Modbus TCP/IP sockets per Ethernet port
• Disable services and ports that are not needed with highly secure port control
• Email function – SMTP email to client on alarm
• Precise time synchronization – SNTP time sync protocol
• IEEE 1588 PTPv2 for critical time sync applications, e.g., synchrophasor systems
• File Transfer Protocol – High-speed file data transfer
Multiple Communication Options
Industry-Leading DNP3 Level 2 Plus – Complies with DNP Level 1 and Level 2 Certification Requirements
• Up to 136 measurements (64 Binary Inputs, 8 Binary Counters, 64 Analog Inputs) can be mapped to DNP static points.
• Up to 16 relays and 8 resets can be controlled through DNP.
• Report-by-exception processing (DNP Events) deadbands with unsolicited response for serial communication is supported.
• 250 events in four event types (Binary Input Change, Frozen Counter, Counter Change, and Analog Change) are available.
• SNMP protocol V1 and V2c supported
• 40+ measurements supported
• Traps for limits, input change, and power quality
• Cold Start trap and Authentication Failure supported
• Perfect for data centers and other managed device networks
8 Built-in Digital High-speed Status Inputs
• Inputs automatically sense whether the circuit is externally wetted.
• If externally wetted, input up to 150 V DC is accepted.
• If internally wetted, the meter supplies the necessary voltage for the control application.
• Neutral to ground or aux voltage readings
• Useful for synchronizing schemes, for example, obtaining the frequency, magnitude, and phase angle on both sides of a switch or between generator and bus voltage
Optional External I/O
Optional I/O modules provide up to 32 additional points of I/O, expanding the meter’s built-in I/O capability.
485P: Dual RS485/Pulse Output Card
• 4 KYZ pulses – solid state
• Pulse width: 5 ms
• Two RS485 ports
6RO1: 6 Relay Output Card
• 5 A, 250 V AC/30 V DC
• Form C (Latching)
Digital Input Status
16DI1: 16 Status Inputs Card
• Used for alarm detect or pulse accumulation
• Up to 150 V DC wetted or non-wetted (24 V DC internally provided)
Note: See the chart on page 12 for I/O ordering information.
• 1mAON4/1mAON8: 4 or 8 Analog Outputs, 0-1 mA, self-powered, scalable, bidirectional
• 20mAON4/20mAON8: 4 or 8 Analog Outputs, 4-20 mA, self-powered, scalable
• Wiring: Common mode
• Accuracy: 0.1% of Full Scale
• Calibration: Self-calibrating
• Scaling: Programmable
• Ordering: Up to 4 Analog Output modules
• 8AI1: 8 Analog Inputs, 0±1 mA
• 8AI2: 8 Analog Inputs, 0±20 mA
• 8AI3: 8 Analog Inputs, 0±5 V DC
• 8AI4: 8 Analog Inputs, 0±20 V DC
• Wiring: Common mode
• Accuracy: 0.25% of Full Scale
• Scaling: Programmable
• Ordering: Up to 4 Analog Input modules
Digital Dry Contact Relay Outputs
• 4RO1: 4 Relay Outputs, 5 A, 250 V AC/30 V DC, Form-C Latching
• Ordering: 1 module in addition to internal modules
Digital Solid State Pulse Outputs
• 4PO1: 4 Solid State Pulse Outputs, Form A or C KYZ pulses
• Maximum Pulse Speed: 20 pulses per second
• Ordering: Up to 4 Digital Solid State Output modules
I/O Module Accessories (Required)
• PSIO: Power supply required when using an external I/O module. The Nexus® 1500+ meter does not have internal power for external I/O modules.
• MBIO: Mounting bracket for external I/O modules. Must be ordered with external I/O module.
Modular Expandable External I/O Modules
On Board Phasor Measurement Unit (PMU) Feature Improves Power System Stability
A Phasor Measurement Unit (PMU) is a device that measures phasor (magnitude and phase angle of voltage and current) and related data from a specific location on the electrical grid. The measurement is synchronized to a common time source. The time-synchronized estimated phasor is called a synchrophasor. Multiple Phasor Measurement Units (PMUs) transmit the synchrophasors and related data to a phasor data concentrator (PDC), which aggregates and time- aligns the data for real time and post analysis. The Nexus® 1500+ meter acts as a PMU, meeting the IEEE C37.118.1a-2014 standard.
Synchrophasors are invaluable measurements that provide instantaneous voltage, current, and frequency at specific locations on the grid, allowing immediate decisions, such as actions to prevent power outages. Synchrophasor benefits include:
• Wide-area situational awareness for system operators
• Determination of stress points of the Transmission system through monitoring synchrophasors
• Detection and aid in restoring an islanded section of the grid after a storm or major outage disturbance
• Visualization of PMU data for system operations, to be incorporated into an Energy Management System (EMS)
Nexus® 1500+ Meter’s Synchrophasor Features
• Calculates individual voltage/current phasors, symmetrical components’ phasors, frequency, rate of change of frequency, the meter’s high-speed digital inputs, analog fundamental power, and displacement power factor
• Supports both P and M classes
• Data frame rates 50 Hz: 10/25/50 frames per second; 60 Hz: 10/12/15/20/30/60 frames per second
• Data format: configurable Float or Integer, Polar or Rectangular
• Time sync standard: IRIG-B or IEEE 1588 PTPv2
• Number of sessions: 2*
• Supports Ethernet or Fiber over Ethernet communication
*Two clients can communicate with the meter/PMU at one time.
Resilient Cyber SecurityTM
The Nexus® 1500+ meter gives you EIG’s industry leading cyber security. Protect your meter from unwanted intrusions with Resilient Cyber Security TM , which features role-based authorization and multiple safeguards. It provides you with critical substation meter data security. Features include:
• An Admin user with full rights and a programmable password of up to 24 characters
• Ten user IDs with passwords of up to 24 characters
• Role-based security, with eight configurable roles
• Encrypted communication of sensitive data, such as passwords, usernames, roles, and rights
• Customization of the encryption key by the Admin user
• Expiration programming of passwords and/or the encryption key by the Admin user
• Firmware “signed” with a digital signature embedded in the firmware
• Security lockout for the highest level of protection, preventing Resilient Cyber Security TM from being disabled
V-Switch TM key levels V2 and above offer you an embedded IEC 61850 Protocol Server for seamless integration with substation automation applications. Features of the Nexus® 1500+ meter’s IEC 61850 implementation include:
• Up to 6 simultaneous MMS clients.
• Either Ethernet port can be configured for IEC 61850 (only one port at a time can run IEC 61850).
• GOOSE publisher/subscriber functionality support.
• Buffered and unbuffered reports for the following triggers: general meter interrogation, for example, the report is generated in response to a query; meter integrity, for example, the report is generated according to a programmed interval; and data change, for example, the report is generated due to a change in the contents of a dataset.
• File transfer is support.
• Embedded Web Protocol Server support for IEC 61850 CID file uploading, IEC 61850 Protocol Server status, and for displaying incoming and outgoing GOOSE messages.
• Flicker, harmonics, digital inputs/outputs, limit state, voltage, current, energy, and other data, are mapped with Multiple Logical Nodes
• Waveform capture can be triggered by status input data inside GOOSE messages: the user can program up to 16 status inputs that will trigger a waveform capture when the information is received via a GOOSE message; the status inputs include digital inputs, limit states, and any other status input supported by the meter.
Intelligent Substation IEC 61850 Design Cross Trigger Fault Readings for Simultaneous Station-wide Fault Analysis
V-Switch Key Technology
With the Nexus® 1500+ meter’s V-Switch key upgrade technology you can upgrade meter functionality even after installation. This means you can purchase what you need now and then upgrade whenever you need the additional features. The table below shows the available V-Switch TM keys.
* Transient sampling rate up to 800k per cycle.
Unique GOOSE Cross Trigger for Distributed Fault Recording
Fault-based cross trigger of waveform based on GOOSE message.
• Provides system-wide distribution fault analysis on an event.
• Timing better than 200 microseconds is typical.
• Many different circuits can be viewed after an event occurs.
Vibrant LCD Touch Screen Display
The Nexus® 1500+ meter features an LCD color display with touch screen capability. The display uses bright TFT glass with a high temperature and long-life LED backlight. LED is superior to CCFL solutions due to better temperature and half-life specifications. Screen displays include:
• Real-time viewing (voltage, current, power, demand)
• Harmonic spectrum analysis and waveforms
• Accumulated energy and time of use readings
• Flicker readings
• Phasor Analysis
• Real time trending
• Log status
• Configuration settings
• Multi-language support
• Digital status inputs
Intelligent Substation IEC 61850 Design Cross Trigger Fault Readings for Simultaneous Station-wide Fault Analysis
Voltage Input Range:
• (5-347) V AC, Line to Neutral
• (10-600) V AC, Line to Line
Voltage Input Withstand Capability:
• Voltage Inputs isolated to 2500 V AC
Current Input Range
• Programmable to any CT ratio
• Class 2: 1 A Nominal CT Secondary, with 2 times over range
• Class 2: fault current recording to ± 16 A peak
• Class 20: 5 A Nominal CT Secondary, with 4 times over range
• Class 20: fault current recording to ± 80 A peak
Current Input Withstand Capability (at 23°C):
• 100 A for 10 seconds
• 300 A for 3 seconds
• 500 A for 1 second
• Voltage Inputs: 0.072 VA/phase max at 600 volts, 0.003 VA/phase max at 120 volts
• Current Inputs: 0.008 VA per phase max at 20 A
• All inputs to outputs are isolated to 2500 V AC
• Operating temperature: (-20 to +70) °C
• Storage temperature: (-30 to +80) °C
• Humidity: Up to 95% RH non- condensing
• Up to 1024 samples per cycle (programmable)
• 16 Bit A/D resolution – multiple converters
• Constant Calibration™ technology
• True RMS
• Transients measured at 800,000 samples per cycle
• Energy measurement accuracy at 0.06%
• Full accuracy specifications available in Nexus® 1500+ meter User Manual
• Time clock: 3.5 ppm for (-40 to +85)
°C – less than 10 seconds drift per month on crystal sync; 2.0 ppm typical from (0 to +40) °C – less than 6 seconds per month drift
• 1 second – Revenue accurate readings
• 1 Cycle high speed frequency readings
• Customizable high-speed readings – from 2 to 20 cycles RMS
Control Power Requirements:
• D2 Option: (100–240) V AC @50/60 Hz or (100-240) V DC/17 W Max
• 115AC Option: (100-240) V AC @50/60 Hz/17 W Max
• D Option: (18-60) V DC (24-48 V DC Systems)/25 VA Max
• (42.5-69.9) Hz
• Total shipping weight: approx. 6.5 lbs (2.9 kgs)
• Shipping container dimensions: 16″ x 15.5″ x 11.5″ (40.64 cm x 39.37 cm x 29.21 cm)
• Programmable parity and stop bits
• Communication protocols: Modbus TCP/IP, ASCII/RTU; DNP3; IEC 61850 (V2 and above), SNMP
• ANSI optical port
• USB 1.1/2.0 Virtual COM port
• RJ45 Ethernet port 10/100BaseT
• Optional 2nd Ethernet port – RJ45 or Fiber Optic
• 2 RS485 ports (optional)
- • ANSI C12.20 2010 – 0.1 Accuracy Class and C12.1 2008
- • ANSI C62.41 (Burst)
- • IEC 62053-22 Accuracy, 0.2S
- • IEC 62053-23 Ed. 1
- • CE (EN/IEC 61326-1 & EN/IEC 61000- 3-2 & EN/IEC 61000-3-3)*
- • FCC Part 15, Class A (Radiated and Conducted Emissions)*
- • IEC 61000-4-2 Ed. 2 2008 (Electrostatic Discharge)*
- • IEC 61000-4-3 Ed. 3.2 2010 (Radiated EM Immunity)*
- • IEC/EN 61000-4-4 Ed.3 2012, Class B (EFT)*
- • IEC/EN 61000-4-5, Class B (Surge Immunity)*
- • IEC 61000-4-6 Ed. 3 2008 (Conducted Immunity)*
- • IEC 61000-4-8 Ed. 2 2009 (Magnetic Immunity)*
- • IEC 61000-4-11 Ed. 2 2004 (Voltage Variations Immunity)*
- • IEC 61000-4-30 Class A Ed.3*
- • IEC 61000-2-4 (Compatibility Levels)*
- • IEC 62586-2 Ed. 2 2013 (PQ Measurement in Power Supply Systems)*
- • IEC 61000-4-7 Ed. 2 2002 (Harmonics)*
- • IEC 61000-4-15 Ed. 2 2010 (Flicker Meter)*
- • IEC 61000-6-2 2005 (Immunity for Industrial Environments)
- • IEC 61000-6-4 2006 (Emissions Standards for Industrial Environments)
- • IEC 61850 Level A, Ed. 2 Certified*
- • CISPR11 Ed. 5.1 (Conducted Emissions)*
- • CISPR22 Class A*
- • IEC 62052-11 2003- General Requirements*
- • EU Directive 2011/65/EU (RoHS Directive)
- • Certified to UL/IEC 61010-1 and CSAC22.2 No. 61010-1, UL File: E250818
- *Third party lab tested
External I/O Modules:
• 1mAON4: 4 Analog Outputs, 0±1 mA
• 1mAON8: 8 Analog Outputs, 0±1 mA
• 20mAON4: 4 Analog Outputs, 4-20 mA
• 20mAON8: 8 Analog Outputs, 4-20 mA
• 8AI1: 8 Analog Inputs, 0±1 mA
• 8AI2: 8 Analog Inputs, 0±1 mA
• 8AI3: 8 Analog Inputs, 0±5 VDC
• 8AI4: 8 Analog Inputs, 0±10 VDC
• 4RO1: 4 Relay Outputs
• 4PO1: 4 Solid State Pulse Outputs
• PSIO: Power Supply for I/O modules (must be ordered with external I/O module)
• MBIO: I/O mounting bracket (must be ordered with external I/O module)
Note: Please see product User Manual for comprehensive specifications.
To order a Nexus® 1500+ meter
- • Fill out the options you want in the order chart shown below. List accessories separately.
• Specify CommunicatorPQA® 5.0 software.
- • EIG can also provide current and potential transformers.
• Email or fax order information and quantity to the email address or fax number listed below or call the phone number listed below to place your order.